Law Offices of Scot Stuart Brower provides you with confidence and peace of mind that your case is in the right hands.

Can I modify the child support agreement if I lose my job?

On Behalf of | May 14, 2023 | Family Law

Child support is a legal obligation for parents to support their children financially after a divorce. This obligation arises from a court order or agreement between you and your co-parent.

However, it’s crucial to note that when financial circumstances change, the parent obligated to pay child support may seek to modify the originally agreed-upon contract. If you’re wondering if you can adjust the child support agreement if you lose your job, this article answers your question.

Can I work with my co-parent to reach a new agreement?

It is important to note that you will likely need to work with your co-parent when modifying a child support agreement. In most cases, both parents must agree to the modification for it to be approved by the court.

Suppose the other parent does not agree to the modification. In that case, it may be necessary to attend a court hearing where a judge will determine whether the modification is appropriate.

What’s the legal process for modifying child support?

The legal process of modifying child support varies by state. In Honolulu, Hawaii, you will need to follow a legal process that typically involves the following steps:

  • File a petition with the Family Court of the First Circuit.
  • Serve the other party with a copy of the petition and a summons.
  • Attend a hearing after the other party has been served and present evidence or arguments for why child support should be modified.
  • Receive the court’s decision. If the judge agrees to modify the order, a new child support order will be issued.

Losing a job can be a difficult and stressful experience, particularly when it prevents you from fulfilling your financial obligations toward your child. However, you shouldn’t shy away from seeking to modify the child support agreement to suit your current financial situation.